Wednesday 15 April 2009

April 12th 1940

So far a grand week's flying - exceeded all previous records last week by doing 150 hrs in a five-day week. At last some information came out about the big re-organisation. Station to be divided into 3 wings - Training, Maintenance and S.H.Q Wing. Training wing to be three squadrons of two flights each, commanded by a squadron leader with three flight lieutenants under him. So far after some argument Rogers and I stay together with practically all our screened crews in No.3 Squadron under S/Ldr. Southwell (replacement for S/Ldr. Young). Nothing absolutely definite yet - spent the afternoon "conferring" over the training syllabus, as all flights will now train pupils of each type from beginning to end, elementary and operational.

2 comments:

  1. 30 hours a day! That's quite a record for one man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah,

    I really appreciate your blog. I have a blog devoted to what was going on 70 years ago named, aptly enough, http://www.70-years-ago.com\blog and would love to include your grandfathers diary entries if it is ok with you. I know it must be pretty personal and I wanted to make sure that it would be ok. Also check out my blog and tell me what you think. It is a Wordpress blog and this whole blogging thing is brand new to me. It really is a lot of fun and not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

    Thanks very much to you and your Granddad. Were you fortunate enough to know him?

    Take care,
    Jim Lee

    ReplyDelete